Thought provoking study questions on Genesis
Hello, I am 23 years old and a recent Psychology / Religion graduate, and am now living at home. My mother has asked me to teach my brother (age 15, nearly 16) about the Bible. I figured starting out with Genesis would clearly be the perfect starting point. I know how important it is to have dialogue between religion and science, especially for people from our generation. I have no trouble keeping faith while recognizing scientific fact.
My question is, what would be the best way to approach this way of thinking with my brother, and can you lead me in the right direction toward meaningful and thought provoking study questions that would help make learning Genesis geared toward a teenager/young adult/general audience in a scholarly manner that is also infused with faith? Thank you so much for you time; I hope to hear from you.
I have gathered some resources that might be helpful as you begin to discuss Genesis within a context of science and faith working in harmony.
These first resources on the list deal specifically with the challenges of interpretation of the early parts of Genesis and the following materials address science & faith challenges in general.
- On Genesis specifically, Dr. John Walton’s Origins Today video and his book, The Lost World of Genesis One are excellent. The DVD is about 2 hours in length and could be more accessible to high-school students than his whole book but both resources are excellent presentations.
- A 4-week series for youth was done at Grace Chapel in Massachusetts. It is titled “Wrestling with Science and Faith”. Videos of the sessions are available for free on the church’s website. About Genesis, see specifically Part II, which is titled, “Theological Perspectives on How to Read Genesis.”
- The Author of Life video and discussion guides for youth are some new and free resources recently produced. Their goal ultimately is to produce 8 videos with leader’s guides. Four videos are now available on the site, with more becoming available in the next few months.
- Test of Faith in partnership with Youth For Christ has developed resources for 11-14 and 14-18 year olds (geared toward holding to faith in a culture of scientific claims). These resources do not necessarily focus on answers to apologetic questions, but rather shows an appreciation of the debate, the range of questions being asked, and the way in which answers can be explored.
- The book, Origins: Christian Perspectives on Creation, Evolution, and Intelligent Design, by Deborah and Loren Haarsma is an excellent resource for adults and young people. It also contains discussion questions with each chapter, and does a great job of giving the overall state of the dialogue on origins issues and the spectrum of Christian beliefs. There is also a new DVD that was just released to accompany the book.
Check out our Small Group Resources for more information. My prayer is that something here will be useful as you explore these issues with your brother and that his awe and worship of our great God will only increase from what he learns.
All my best,
Chris Stump, Content Development Coordinator